As a courtesy, Brian is happy to share this bit of extremely useful information for anyone who has stressed out about moving properly. This is the most comprehensive yet succinct moving checklist that you will ever need.
2 months before
- Get estimates from moving companies and/or storage units.
- Sketch or print your floorplan and start thinking about furniture placement.
- Make a list of people you want to give your new address to when you move.
- Go through each room of your home and designate items for donation or yard sale.
- Take an inventory of your valuable belongings for insurance purposes.
6 weeks before
- If you’re packing yourself, collect boxes and other necessary supplies.
- Start packing the items you don’t access often.
- Set an official moving date.
- Settle on a moving company and make your reservations.
- Make any necessary travel arrangements (don’t forget your pets).
- If you have children, have their records transferred to their new school or daycare.
- Obtain your medical records to give to future medical providers.
- Organize and host your yard sale.
- Contact your insurance consultant to research insurance carriers and tailor a policy for your new home.
1 month before
- Check with your Loan Officer to make sure you’ve submitted everything needed for your loan application.
- File with the post office to have your mail forwarded to your new address.
- Call utility companies to cancel services at your current home and activate your services at your new place
on the appropriate dates.
- Return all library books.
- Pick up all items out for dry cleaning.
- Pick up any prescriptions and have your prescriptions transferred to a pharmacy near your new home.
- Properly dispose of cleaning solutions, flammable liquids and other items that can’t be moved.
1 week before
- Call to confirm any travel arrangements.
- Change your address with your creditors, magazine subscriptions, financial institutions and other companies
and organizations as necessary.
- Send friends and family your new address.
- If you’re moving to a new city, subscribe to the local newspaper and call your current newspaper to cancel
- Finish packing and pack yourself a suitcase with a few days worth of clothing, toiletries and any valuable
belongings you prefer to keep with you.
- Empty, defrost and clean out your refrigerator.
- Drain your washing machine and hoses.
- Arrange for childcare/pet care for moving day.
- Confirm your reservation and prepare your payment and tip for the moving company.
- Print a map and directions to your new address for the movers.
- Supervise any moving company workers as they pack/move your belongings.
- Leave a note to the new residents and include you your new address in case the post office doesn’t forward
your mail right away.
- Scout out every room, cupboard and closet to make sure you don’t leave anything behind.
- Turn off lights, lock windows and close and lock doors before you leave.